This young lady is incredibly beautiful and stylish. She is an English TV host, model and contributor at British Vogue – Alexa Chung. I discovered her when I decided to watch a talk show with world known celebrities – “It’s on with Alexa Chung”. At first I was hypnotized by her British accent, which I found quite sexy. But then when I watched more of her shows, I noticed her way of dressing. Alexa herself acknowledges that her aesthetic ain’t totally original, it’s more a fusion of Jane Birkin and Francois Hardy, but how charming is it?!
She has a very thin body and due to that, there is lots of drama on all the social media everywhere her photos come out. Lots of girls are taking her slimness as an “inspiration”, therefore leading to serious health problems, but Alexa doesn’t agree with that. Here is what she says about this phenomenon:
“Yeah I think it really sucks. I think it’s about time people stopped judging women on their appearance and more on their intellect. Like you can appreciate my style without having to appreciate my weight. It’s not actually mutually inclusive. I just get frustrated because, just because I exist in this shape, doesn’t mean that I’m like advocating it and being like, ‘I look great.’ How do you know I’m not looking in the mirror and going ‘I wish I could gain ten pounds?’ Which is actually quite often the case.”
So you can see that not only Alexa’s style is inspiring, but also her personality. Though she has a very lady-like style, due to her collection of Top Shop, A.P.C, Chanel and vintage clothes, she manages to create a rock/tomboy look.
So if you want to dress like her that’s what you’ll need:
1. High waisted skirt. There are two types of skirts with high waist, that Alexa loves to wear:
- pencil– makes you look more official
- flip flop one to look cozier.
Anyway, even if you prefer a pencil skirt you are not supposed to wear it with a white blouse all the time. To look like Alexa you have to mix it with a long sleeve T-shirt if skirt’s design is simple. But if it’s a lace one or with an intricate design, always pair it up with a simple shirt.
2. A leather mini skirt. Since I started writing these articles about celebrities’ style, I’ve discovered that this skirt is a very popular clothes. Every fashionista knows that a leather mini skirt is always a good piece for day meetings. But a thing to remember is that the legth of the skirt should be a palm lower than your hips and best leather’s friend is wool! Match up with oversized silk shirts or with a see trough turtle neck in one tone and you will look amazing.
3. Denim mini shorts. Well, Alexa uses them to create her beloved tomboyish looks. She always wears them with flats and boyfriend T-shirts, with a big print on them. However, to a party or evening dinner with friends, you can also match them up with a loose silk shirt and 2 bucckled sandals and still look hot.
4. Denim jumpsuit. This piece is a distinguished feature of her wardrobe. It’s also used to create the tomboyish looks I told you about earlier. You don’t usually see people wearing short denim jumpsuits, do you? Well, maybe except kids 😀
One of the upcoming fall trends I’ve noticed is the maxi jumpsuit. Personally I would advice you to buy this piece for summer, but not because it’s gonna be trendy, but in order to be different. You can wear it with a t-shirt or with nothing underneath, but always on high heels.
– McQ by Alexander McQueen jumpsuit (on sale!)
5. Biker jacket. There some biker leather jackets in her closet with different design. One is very mannish and rough styled, which she loves to wear with boots and black dresses to look like “bad asses”. Or flat men shoes and casual sweaters. Biker jacket is from the rocker part of her closet. Also she has a suede biker jacket and one very feminine which she teams up with girly dresses and miniskirts.
– DKNY beige biker jacket (on sale!)
6. Coarse knitted crew necks. A basic piece. It’s not meant to be worn only in winter, when it’s cold, but not everyone knows that. You can wear it over silk evening dresses or combine with leather skirts or shorts.
So know that in windy spring time, you can wear it and be confident. Just notice to yourself – when you buy a sweater, choose a size smaller than your usual one. That’s how it will look feminine and chic.
7. Little black dress. Girls, simmplicity is the keynote of true elegance. So a well chosen black dress can always save you, whether it’s a party, official dinner, friends dinner, work day, meeting, etc. It’s a good investment, so better spent a little more on a dress that will fit you perfectly! If the black dress is right, there’s nothing else to add.
8. Casual dresses. Or I call them – daytime dresses. This type of clothing is for all types of girls and ages. Alexa likes short cotton dresses with an all over flowery print. I would pay attention to the collar cut. Almost all of her girly dresses have a long crew neck, which usually ads a lot of femininity to her looks.
Also for daytime she wears dresses with “Peter Pan” collars and shirt cuffs. It’s also a very interesting feature of her closet. It may be a denim or a cotton one, but it will make you stand out in a crowd.
9. Evening dresses. A very broad category of her style. This lady really loves dresses and she knows how to wear them right. She makes them work for her, but not outshine her.
In Alexa’s closet we can find short sheath dresses with intricate shoulders and plain colored (a very good balance).
Short empire style dresse made of see trough lace and long sleeved. I find them very sensual, but girls don’t wear them often. What a big mistake!
Knee legth or below the knee dresses with flowery prints. I just loved the one she wore for Grammy awards this year (white/yellow thin spaghetti straps)
White or cream short dresses. It’s a very brave choice, but Alexa can work out every piece she wears. Anyway I would not advice you to wear white dresses for evenings, if you want to have fun at a party. However, if it’s a ball or dinner part, then go for it!! White dresses are always luxurious.
10. Cardigans. Alexa’s collection of cardis is immense and is an important part of her preppy style. From oversized, long, coarse knitted to really short, cotton, with four front pockets ones. It’s just a must have! I can’t think of any other reasons to give you, but all I know is that you just have to buy one, and of course get inspired by her looks!
And remember dears – buy clothes the size you want to wear.